Sunday, August 30, 2009

lost in the commotion

So this past month has been crazy and fun all at the same time. I was getting the kids ready for school then sending them off to school and trying to get used to being here and there alone with D. He is loving being home with me alone though. My day now consists of getting the kids off to school then spending the day trying to get some stuff cleaned and organized while teaching my 2 1/2 year monkey more input... He reminds me of Johnny 5!!! Roaming the streets demanding "MORE INPUT!" He is a serious sponge. He would ask me questions all day if I let him and normally I do because he has this adorably cute face with big blue eyes and brown hair and cutie patootie dimples. It seems that this past summer has brought many questions to my children's minds. They are constantly asking "why?" and "how?" but they are now saying "teach me" I LOVE THIS.

A few weeks ago I had the wonderful privilege of taking my oldest to Joann's fabric store. She had asked to learn how to sew! I was so excited to even have her interested in sewing. She wanted to sew anything. I went through a few online blogs and found that perfect project for E. A pillow case for her bed. Straight lines and not too much difficult stuff.

We did have the boys with us when we went shopping for the fabric so it was an eventful hour. I have never spent less than an hour looking for fabric. Ever. Just ask my patient husband. He has learned to ask if I am fabric shopping when we go to a Joann's. Her bedroom is not what she wants it to be so this was the perfect opportunity to change the style and colors of her room. After much searching and deliberation we settled on black and white damask for the border and a solid brighter pink for the body of the pillow.

She was so eager to get started that she wasn't too happy that we had to wash it first. Poor impatient girl. Gets it from her mama.

Once we got it washed she helped me iron it all. She said that ironing was her least favorite part. She didn't like having to be super careful with the hot iron. So I did most of it. She is still only 8 and not quite tall enough to reach the ironing board at my level comfortably. She was ok with not being able to iron the whole thing herself.

With fabric spread over the kitchen table we cut out the rectangles then got to work.

Photobucket


E was very nervous after I told her that she could sew over her finger if she didn't watch the area she kept her fingers in. I had the machine turned to a crawl and she was off.

Photobucket


She worked so hard and was so patient. After about 15 - 20 minutes of sewing she had completed the whole thing herself. I didn't sew a stitch. I am so proud of her but probably not as proud as she is of herself. She dragged the pillowcase to every family members house so she could show off her handy work.



Instructions
1 yard 45" solid fabric
1/2 yard 45" patterned fabric
(We just measured the actual pillow then added 1" extra for the width and 6" for the length.)
sample pillowcase in the size your finished pillowcase will be
coordinating thread and bobbin
sewing machine
any emballishments you may want... lace, ribbon, appliques, iron on transfers... the possibilities are endless. I wanted plain and simple.

We cut the solid fabric as wide as the pillow case + 3/4" for seam allowances. Next the length saw cut 3/4 the length of the sample pillow case + a smidgen more for allowances, all with the fold as the length so we had the front and back. Then we cut the pattern fabric the same width also on the fold but only 1/4 the length of the sample pillow case with 6" extra for seam allowance and hem.

Match up the right sides of the width for the pattern and the solid together. Pin if you like... on this I am not a pinner lady. Straight stitch the width together.
Once this is stitched I press the seam toward the patterned fabric. Or the where the opening will be.

With right sides together you will iron the fabric length pressing the edge. Holding the fabric corners stitch the top width of the pillow case together. Now you can sew the full length of the pillowcase.

The last step you must iron the hem of the pillow. I chose to iron 1/4" inward then again 2" inward. She then had a 3 inch hem so it folds and lays nicely. After ironing I pinned the hem to try and keep it from moving and readjusting itself. Sew with fabric right side out and 1/4 from the edge of the fold.

Photobucket


All said and done she is hooked on sewing and now wants a machine of her own for Christmas. Maybe. Santa has to check his options. Her next project next week will be a purse. She is super excited about that too. Love her enthusiasm.

post signature

1 comment:

Jen B said...

I love it!!! - Same colors my girls want in their room... as soon as I can get to it! I just might have Kaelee make the pillow cases.